The Berlin Graduate School for Global and Transregional Studies (BGTS) is the full-time PhD programme of the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS) at Freie Universität Berlin in cooperation with Humboldt-Universität. The three-year English language doctoral programme at the BGTS provides state-of-the-art theory classes, solid training in research methods and research design, soft skills courses, and individual supervision. The programme focuses on contemporary controversies about liberal orders from a historical, global, and comparative perspective. It is particularly interested in global and transregional processes analysed by social science or historical methods. Research at the BGTS focuses on the structures, risks, and opportunities of cross-regional interaction at various levels.
- Certificates and transcripts of your bachelor’s and master’s degree qualifying you for PhD studies in political science, international relations, sociology, economics, law, or related disciplines
- Proof of C1-level English language skills or the equivalent (see specification here)
- An up-to-date CV
- A short letter of motivation (600 words maximum)
- A research proposal (5,000 words maximum) with a timetable for your project
- Two letters of reference from professors at universities or research institutions
- Four PhD positions are funded by the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS).
- Two scholarships for students with Chinese citizenship are funded by the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC).
- Two scholarships in the field of International Security, especially empirical conflict studies, are provided by the Centre for International Security Policy at the Hertie School of Governance (further information).
- Two scholarships in the field of EU studies are provided by the Jacques Delors Institute at the Hertie School of Governance (further information).
- As there is only a limited number of PhD positions available, candidates who are not offered a scholarship can be admitted to the programme provided that they secure their own external funding. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to apply to other sponsors/foundations at the same time of your BGTS application. To support that process, we are happy to provide documentation if need be.
Deadline: 31 January 2019.
More information here.