RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Materials engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/08/2020 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE02/11/2020
Staff Researcher - 2D Materials and Technology (Ref. 08.20.37)
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Number of Vacancies: 1
Group/Unit: 2D Materials and Devices
Required Education: PhD
Career stage: PhD degree
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 48 months
Open Date for Applications: August 6th, 2020
Closing Date for Applications: August 27th, 2020
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int) – is the first and only International Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
This call is related to the Scientific Research and Technological Development Projects identified hereunder, which are cofunded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
Project Specifications: This project is funded by ANI/FCT (PROJETOS DE I&DT EMPRESAS EM COPROMOÇÃO – PARCERIAS INTERNACIONAIS)
Name of the project: GEMIS - Graphene-enhanced Electro-Magnetic interference Shielding
Reference number: Projeto 45939 - 04/SI/2019
INL is seeking a highly and specifically qualified Staff Researcher in the area of 2D materials and technology, to execute projects concerning graphene and related materials. The work is connected to the consortium project GEMIS - Graphene-enhanced Electro-Magnetic interference Shielding, funded by FEDER under project no. 45939. The GEMIS project aims at developing versatile technological solutions based on graphene-based materials and composites (with polymers and epoxies), with a specific focus in the context of electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding. The GEMIS project will run in cooperation with Graphenest – a Portuguese graphene-producing company with strong R&D capabilities – and the University of Minho. The project will be also supported by the University of Texas at Austin.
The current position profile requires a highly skilled Staff Researcher to develop top-level research, gather competitive funding and lead project to success.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The Staff Researcher will undertake the following main activities and responsibilities:
- Develop state-of-the-art technological solutions based on graphene and related materials;
- Carry out research and innovation activities;
- Coordinate project activities and guide personnel;
- Write project proposals at the Portuguese and European level;
- Prepare technical reports;
- Publish research papers;
- Participate to other innovative research activities related to the 2D materials production and application.
The candidate will have access to INL’s state of the art facilities for the nanomaterials preparation, nano-structuring, characterization and test.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- PhD Degree in Materials Science, Nanotechnology, or strictly relevant field;
Experience and Technical Skills
- Proven, multi-year experience in the area of graphene and 2D materials;
- Proficiency in nanotechnology, in terms of general knowledge and specific skills related to 2D materials production, characterization, and application;
- Experience in solution processing techniques for 2D materials preparation;
- Previous international experience and strong publication track-record as lead author in 2D materials field;
- Experience in project writing and reporting;
- Proficiency in deposition techniques such inkjet/screen printing, spray coating, etc. is considered a plus;
- Publications on 2D materials production (i.e. liquid phase exfoliation and chemical vapor deposition) and electronic applications (e.g. energy devices) are considered a plus.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment;
- Team work spirit;
- Good communication skills;
- High commitment in respecting working deadlines;
- High organisation and dynamism.
Excellent communication skills in English are required since it’s the working language of INL.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Prof. Pedro Alpuim.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 48 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. The expected starting date is September 2020.
What we offer
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefits;
- A family allowance for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members;
- 30 days of annual leave;
- Diplomatic status.
How to Apply
The application is made online through our e-recruiting platform. Please click on the “Apply” button.
For the application to be valid it must be made in English and the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form, as well as submit all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Academic certificates.
The documents must be submitted in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: email@example.com.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.
EURAXESS offer ID: 549240
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.