RESEARCH FIELDNeurosciences › Neurophysiology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE14/05/2019 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
- How concepts are represented in the human mind is fascinating but remains elusive. The human brain is very difficult to investigate at the neuronal level since this requires invasive recordings.
- We try to unravel neuronal selectivity by using microscale recordings in neurosurgical patients. In subjects with epilepsy and tetraplegia we study the neural representation of conceptual information as well as the effects of electrical stimulation. Apart from studying brain activity evoked by external events, internal representations are studied by visual imagery.
- Invasive brain recordings will be complemented with advanced MR imaging to integrate findings in a larger network perspective.
- If concepts can be decoded through imagination, this will dramatically impact medical applications, as reliable highly informative representations are the ideal input for the rapid control of brain-machine interfaces. This could affect the lives of patients suffering from devastating conditions such as spinal cord injury, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, locked-in syndrome or even persistent vegetative state. .
- A position as a full-time (100%) PhD-student (for a total duration of 4 years, provided a positive evaluation after the first year)
- A dynamic research environment including advanced equipment in a clinical setting
- A multidisciplinary team in a large, multidisciplinary research center dedicated to an exciting project
- Salary scales are set according to university regulations
- Master’s degree in medicine, (bio)engineering, biomedical sciences, or a similar degree with an equivalent academic level
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Dutch speaking (preferably)
- A profound interest in neuroscience research
- A background in neuroscience and/or expertise in Matlab programming and/or MR imaging is an advantage
You can apply for this job no later than 14/05/2019 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 400159
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.