ORGANISATION/COMPANYAIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/04/2019 21:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK20
We are Austria’s largest Research and Technology Organisation and an international player in the research areas that we cover. This makes us a leading development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Energy in Vienna invites applications for a:
Master Thesis ''High-Fidelity Hardware in the Loop Validation of Advanced Converter Control Strategies''
- An inevitable consequence of the global power system transition towards nearly 100% renewable-based generation is the replacement of combustion powered synchronous generators with renewable energy driven inverter interfaced generation. This transition strongly influences the way inertia, frequency and voltage control is handled in conventional systems.
- The gradual transformation of the power grid to a low-inertia system leads to critical challenges in maintaining system stability. Novel control techniques for converters such as the so-called grid-forming/following strategies are expected to address these challenges and replicate functionalities, which so far have been provided by generators.
- This master thesis project aims for the implementation of the most recent converter control techniques proposed in the literature for tackling low-inertia power systems.
- While aiming for a high-fidelity validation methodology, you will use a controller in the loop (CIL) approach based on the latest technological developments and tools used at AIT, such as the AIT Smart Grid Converter Control Board, Typhoon HIL, etc.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner (m/f):
- Holding a bachelor degree preferably in the field of Electrical Engineering
- Enrollment in a master program preferably in the fields of power electronics, control, or embedded systems
- Familiarity with power-electronics converters
- Solid C programming skills, ideally for embedded systems
- Sufficient familiarity with linear and non-linear control systems
- Basic understanding of hardware and controller in the loop testing and validation approaches is a plus
- Working proficiency in English
- Team player with a curious and determined attitude
What to expect:
EUR 719,51 gross per month for 20 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of Master theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Then submit your application documents (CV, cover letter, certificates) via: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/105453
EURAXESS offer ID: 390806
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.